Let's turn the clock back about 850 years. Anno 1163 dated, was the first mention of the house number 77 at Heumarkt as "Minnefusshaus". About 400 years later, anno 1568, councilman Wilhelm Peter Terlaen von Lennep had the house "Zum Sankt Peter" newly built with a magnificent facade.
In 1920, Johann Zims acquired the building and opened up a restaurant. It quickly gained large popularity. The cesura came 1943: Nightly aerial attacks damaged the house. It completely burned down, only the facade stood its ground. The Zims family fled to the cellar – and were buried. After a few days of waiting, Johann Zims threw a coin into the cellar fountain. He only had one wish: saving his loved ones.
The miracle: All were rescued in a weakened state but unscathed. However, the wishing well, as it is called, can still be admired in the cellar today. Full of vigor, the family rebuilt the home in 1946. The guests didn't take long in coming. Many sportsmen joined the famous racing cyclist Hans Zims, the "King of the Night". The Haus Zims became the "meeting point of sports" in the 1950s.
Back to the present: In 2006, the grandson Hans-Willi Zims rebuilt the guesthouse. During the modernization, a space for a larger cold-storage warehouse was to be created in the basement. That is where he stumbled upon the forgotten vaulted cellar which was buried during the reconstruction, whose foundation goes back to the Roman era. The restoration went on for almost three years.
The new Gilden in Zims has been open since November 24th, 2009. Up to 1,000 people can find room on four levels and two terraces, in a modern but typical Cologne brewery pub. Guests can also learn something about Cologne originals in the "Heimat kölscher Helden".